Search This Blog

Friday, August 13, 2010

Slow-Cooker Beans - First Recipe

Part of the reason I wanted to do this blogging thing was to not only share my favorite recipes but, get them all in the same place so my family and I have them.  Right now my recipes are everywhere.  In the computer, in 3 ring binders, in my e-mail box, in a recipe box, even taped inside of the cabinets. I really have to think where I have to go to get a particular recipe. Obviously this is a sore spot for me. So, here is yet another place for my recipes. Hopefully, I can get them all down here so I will have record of them all.

         Today I was going to make a new Slow- Cooker Lasagna. But, my cell phone just died ( see I didn't thank God for that yesterday. See last post.), my oldest gets home from Jr. High church camp ( a whole other story), my little son threw up in said older sons  bed last night (not going to go over well when he gets home),  I was sick for a couple of days- the kind where you really don't want to get off of the couch. So the house is our of control. I won't be making the Lasagna. Takes too much for me to get it together today. So I will make a good stand by.

        Slow-Cooker Beans. I know sounds kinda boring and well, strange. We eat a lot of burritos in the house. I mean, we do live in the Old Mexico portion that was taken over by the U.S. At least, that was what I was taught in school. So we have all been raised on great Mexican food. With a pot of beans, I can make cornbread and veggies and go southern. Or, I can cook some meat and make burritos or tacos. Very versatile and not time consuming. They really can even sit over night and we can use them tomorrow.

Here is the recipe for Slow-Cooker Beans.

3 Cups Pinto beans (you can use really any kind. I have used all sorts.)
1/2 of an onion chopped
2-3 garlic cloves, chopped
2 TBL of oil ( I like olive or grape - Healthier)
Enough water  or broth (I really like Vegetable broth) to fill pot 2/3 full.


1) Wash and pick through the beans.
2) Put beans in the crock with water. More then cover them. I prefer filtered water.
3) Cook on high for one hour. Dump water and wash beans through a colindar .
( We call this the toot water. If you don't do this part you will be sorry with a stomach ache and very bad gas. Not pretty!!)
4) Put beans back in the pot with broth or water. Add  onion, garlic, and oil.
5) Cook on high for about 5-6 hours.
6) When beans are tender, add Salt and Pepper to taste. Salt should be added last as they will make the beans tough.

Refried Beans

Take about 2 cups of the beans you made (maybe the day before) and some of the juice. Put it in a small skillet with a little oil in the bottom. Heat and Mash as you go. I use an old potato masher. Continue With the heat and mashing until the liquid evaporates and you have the consistency that you want.

Hope you enjoy the recipe. I love my slow-cooker so there will be many recipes on here for it. I also love the blog A Year of Slow Cooking . She is the bomb when it comes to great recipes in the crock.

O.K. I get to change the yucky sheets now, and referee my "littles" .

3 comments:

  1. Sounds great ...I love crock pot recipes. Dianntha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beans, beans the musical fruit...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum... I do this too! Home cooked beans save a lot of $$ over cans.

    ReplyDelete