Search This Blog

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Indiana Jones would be scared.

      I used to work outside of my home before I had kids. I had several different kinds of jobs. The last being a preschool teacher to 24 3-4 year olds. Needless to say I was tired by the end of the day. But, there was an end to the day. I also knew all of the things I would never do as a parent. I went to school for this. I was taught the best way to do most anything with kids. Now I had no delusions that I would never make a mistake but, come on, I had dealt with so much already. I referred to my teaching job as a time when I could learn how to raise my kids while taking care of others. These parents seemed so incompetent sometimes. I was 22-25 years old, never had kids of my own. But, had lots of classes. That made me an expert and these parents believed that. I look back now and think,"Why would they think I was so wise? And experienced?" It was true I was dealing with 24 kids and their personalities. Yes, I had dealt with so many different issues on a huge scale where these parents only had one or 2 kids. The parents were so tired and didn't want to think anymore. "Just tell me how to fix this." That was the mentality. Now with 4 kids of my own, ranging from teen to toddler, I understand feeling that way. Unfortunately, there is no simple fix for most issues kids deal with. No magic bullet. If there was, don't you think we would have discovered it over all of the generations since Adam and Eve first blew it with Cain and Able???
        When I turned in my 2 weeks notice from that job because I was pregnant and frankly tired of "raising" other peoples kids. My boss said,"When are you coming back?" When I said I wanted to stay home and raise my own kids. She laughed and said I'd be back because I would get bored. That bothered me. Really? While finishing my pregnancy at home I began getting ready for the baby. Then I scrape booked. Then I cleaned. Then I re-organized. Then I did neat crafty things. Then... I wondered if my boss was going to be right. Would I get bored? Could I ever have enough to do without ending up watching soap operas and Oprah all day?  
          Fast forward to about 3 and 1/2 years ago. I had 3 kids then. Here is a typical day that could make Indiana Jones run for the hills screaming. Oh, and that boredom thing has never been worried about again. (Don't get me wrong, I have had my share of days hiding in the laundry room for a quick cry and pity party. Those just have to be very few and far between.)
            Here is the snapshot:  My husband had left for a business trip (not something he had ever done before) for 3 days.  We had a new bulldog puppy to add to our dachshunds already "full" life.  He was being house broken but, not too well.  My older two boys were hungry and being "oh so helpful", bringing in groceries. Now filling the counter.  The baby ( #3, #4 wasn't born yet) needed to be nursed and laid down for a nap and was vocalizing this beautifully.  My sink had this mornings breakfast dishes soaking and the dishwasher was  in need of emptying. Oh yes, the dishwasher repair man was supposed to be there in about an hour and a half. With a 20 minute call before he arrives.
            RING!  As I answer the phone, the kids are dropping 1/2 a container of grapes all over the floor and there are peals of laughter, the baby again vocalizes he's hungry NOW,  the new puppy squats on the kitchen floor, and it's the repair man. "Hi. I'm at your front door."
                                                    Snap that picture and put it in your scrapbook.


            These are the days that older women stop and tell you to enjoy because they are short lived. "Soon they will all be gone and living on their own." I always want to ask if they will do their own laundry then too.   I know, I'm being a bit dramatic but am I? We moms know these days don't last forever but, sometimes aren't we glad that there is an end in sight?  I don't mean that all of the moments are bad and tiring. We all know they aren't. But, as your household fills so do the duties you have to preform as well as, thinner is the already stretched time you have to get things done. It's o.k. to think these things. If we are honest we all think them. And as you can see we must be living in a sort of post traumatic stress syndrome or Stockholm syndrome. Why else would we have more kids? Or add animals to the mix? Or invite guests to stay with us? Or HAVE CHRISTMAS!! I'm just kidding about the last one. (Sorta). We do it because we love and want to do for others. We were put here to do God's work. We are to be fruitful and multiply (not asking for more God, just quoting here), care for his creatures, and be hospitable. We also realize the time we thought we didn't have enough of before, can be stretched even thinner. There really is enough hours in the day to care for each other. Maybe not to get the laundry done, but, stop and love each other. 
            Philippians 4:13 says, " I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." 



          


  “…and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us” (Hebrews 12:2, NAS)

Endurance. There is a word all moms and frankly, dads need to pray for. This is a race. Not a fast sprint, a marathon. You are not only running it, you are a coach to the children in your care. You will help prepare them to run this race that God has put before them. We can't run it for them. Although most of us feel like it would be easier if they would just move over and let us. We need to prepare them for this race. The day above is just a small portion of the marathon but, my reaction and ability to laugh is going to be a training lesson for my darlings. I hope I pass as a good coach. Some days are going to be harder than others and I hope that with this little blog, you and I can be an encouragement to each other. 


“Nothing is impossible with God” (Luke 1:37)

No comments:

Post a Comment