Search This Blog

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Crock-Pot Enchilada Casserole

I really like this recipe. One that gives us something a little different in the crock.

I use a big oval 6 quart crock pot. So this is a big recipe. You can cut it down for the smaller pot.

2 lbs. ground beef
1 small chopped onion
minced garlic (to taste. 2 cloves?)
2-3 cans of pinto beans (red or black beans are good too), drained
28 oz. stewed tomatoes ( I use the diced. I also use one regular and one spiced with green chile's.)
8-16 oz. jar of mild salsa
18-20 corn tortillas
Grated cheese- I prefer the mixed Mexican cheese.
Opt. Sour cream
Opt. black olives, sliced
Opt. green onions
Opt. Tortilla chips

1) Brown the ground beef with the onions and garlic. Drain any fat.
2) Take the tomatoes and blend them to make them soupier. (do you want it chunky? It's up to you.)
3) Add the beans, blended tomatoes, and salsa (I use about 2/3 of a 16 oz. jar) to the ground beef mixture.
4) Simmer mixture for about 5-10 minutes.
5) Spray the inside of your crock-pot with a non-stick spray.
6) Put about 1/2 - 3/4 of a cup of the meat mixture in the bottom of the crock.
layer about 5 tortillas on top of that.
7) Add another layer of meat on the tortillas.
8) Layer some cheese on top of this meat layer.
9) Add a layer of cheese.
10) Continue layers in order (tortillas, meat, cheese) until everything is used up ending with meat then cheese.
11) Cook on low for 4-5 hours or until everything is heated through.

When you serve this dish, I usually put a blob of sour cream sprinkled with chopped green onions and sliced black olives. I also serve it with tortilla chips. We like to eat it like a dip.

This is a yummy hot dinner. I can't remember where I got it originally, maybe a magazine but, I have changed it so much over time I'm sure the . It is so  simple. You can tweak it to fit  your families taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment