Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Similarities between my 4 year old daughter and my 88 year old Grandma

     As we have moved into my grandma's home with all my children, I am noticing how much my grandma 88 years old and my 4 year old daughter are alike. 
     I will begin to list these things as I can below. I know there are lessons to learn from these. Maybe they have the key to joyful living. 

1) Ice Cream is the best food group. 
2) anytime is a good time to swing. 
3) Shirley Temple movies are funny. 
4) Everyone should have a lay down in the afternoon. 
5) Sometimes you should skip dinner to eat ice cream. 
6) Dirt is just dirt. It doesn't hurt. 
7) Lightening bugs are awesome. 
8) Being barefoot feels good. 
9) Horses are beautiful. 
10) Dolls are fun. 
11) Birds, rabbits, squirrels and any other creature that run around the lawn are amazing and fun to chase (my daughter chases while Grandma cheers her on). 
12) They both need help out of the car. 
13) They both love sparkly things. 
14) Both Love flowers. 
15) Both get excited about baby birds and nests. 
16) Both like to count how many birds are on the lawn. 
17) Both laugh at my husbands silly jokes with the same enthusiasm. 
18) Both like baths. 
19) Both love hugs. 
20) Did I mention the commonality of their love for ice cream?
21) don't get in a hurry to go places. Take your time. Others will wait for you. 

This isn't an exhaustive list but, a good thing to pay attention to. I'm saying I think the oldest and the youngest generation are smarter then those that make up the rest of the countries age groups. We think we are so smart, working and being efficient. Look at Grandma and my girlie. Stop, look at the flowers and how the caterpillar is crawling on the leaf. Stop and watch the robin build its nest. There is no hurry. 
Life I too short not to enjoy each minute and eat as much ice cream as you can. 

     So there it is. Life's short. wake up and and have dessert. 

3 comments:

  1. Heather,

    Thank you for sharing this! Some of my favorite memories of the summers in Tennessee were my walks in the garden and the lawn with Great Marme. There is a lot we can learn from her, and it is remarkable that there are so many similarities between her and your daughter.
    I remember going over their while my grandparents ran to the store, and we would have ice cream and cobbler for lunch! Ice cream aside, she is a strong and marvelous woman and y'all are so lucky to get to share this time with her!

    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this, Heather! So sweet, and so much great advice/wisdom imbedded in this list!

    What a nice thing to read this Saturday morning.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love both of them and you are right. They are doing the important stuff of life, what we will do in heaven!

    Hopefully, we will see you next week. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete