Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Listening When HE Talks.

          
Praying : Beautiful young happy woman under blue sky.   Stock Photo
To Listen Wholeheartedly. 



            Well, here I am again, in the middle of the night. Feeling unsettled. What is it? Why the unsettled feeling in my soul tonight? Actually, I have felt it all day. Our pastor has been talking on God talking to you and how we need to be ready and quiet and listening. It's imperative to have a dedicated prayer life and to read daily. However, he says he has talked to people that have said to him that God told them something. He says he is always amazed that they are still standing. He says that if God talked to him, he doesn't think you could even answer from the overwhelming power, awe, etc. of God himself. I suppose you could site the story of God having to put his hand over the crevice where Moses was so that He could pass by. And that the glory of God shown on Moses face when he spent time on the mount to receive the tablets. Exodus 34:29-30 29 When Moses came down from Mount Sinai with the two tablets of the covenant law in his hands, he was not aware that his face was radiant because he had spoken with the LORD. 30 When Aaron and all the Israelites saw Moses, his face was radiant, and they were afraid to come near him.
In Exodus 3:6 Then he said, “I am the God of your father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob.” At this, Moses hid his face, because he was afraid to look at God.
              I can see how someone might say that to HEAR God would be almost (maybe) horrifying. I am struggling with this. The reason? I have heard God. I know, I have now had several of you roll your eyes and maybe even turn off this page. But, it is true. When my second son was so very sick and in the NICU for so long, I was up for many hours. I lived on very little sleep. I figured out once that I was living on 4 hours, accumulated sleep. I would catch time here and there when I could. One reason was because not all of the medical staff liked me being at my child's bedside at all hours of the day and night. I suppose, I was infringing on their turf. Not all of the nurses were that way though. Many said they would do the same. During this time, I was closer to God than I had ever been. I prayed a steady stream. I understand the passage in the Bible that says to pray without ceasing. I also read my bible a lot. I was seeking his guidance and comfort. 
            Well, one night I thought that I could slip off to bed for a few winks of sleep. My little darling was fed and sleeping. No meds scheduled for a few hours. I had a nurse that I thought was going to be on my side. Well, I had no sooner laid my head down and I heard, very clearly, "Get up! He needs you now!" I even was already on my feet. I didn't realize that there was no one in the room to say the words I heard until I hit the NICU door. Where I found the nurses all around my son's nurse as she was feeding him a bottle. (This was something that was against what I had researched. What he was wrong with my son would be helped much more with breast milk. And he had actually had a problem with the formula in the first week. ) When I walked through the door, she went pale and shook her head ( the other nurses spread out and I heard a lot of murmuring about me always being there, and I always seem to know. ) and asked, "How did you know?"
              I answered, "He told me." At the time it didn't seem strange. I just took it for granted the God had told me and it was normal. Even though I realized later that it really isn't a normal everyday occurrence. 
            Am I crazy? I didn't die. I didn't fall down in fear? Does that make me irreverent? Some would say that the sleep deprivation made me a little crazy. Maybe. But, I remember that moment in that 4 months so much more clearly then anything else. There other moments like that where I felt God's presence but, only that time when I heard him. 
           Well, as I struggle with the before mentioned sermon that was taught in church and think maybe I am crazy, I read this morning in my Bible: Acts 9:10

10 In Damascus there was a disciple named Ananias. The Lord called to him in a vision, “Ananias!”
   “Yes, Lord,” he answered.


                 Ananias didn't die either. He just answered. There are several examples just like this. 
What about Samuel? He was still a child when it happened to him. 

I Samuel 3:10- 10 The LORD came and stood there, calling as at the other times, “Samuel! Samuel!”
   Then Samuel said, “Speak, for your servant is listening.”


           Of all of the stories where God speaks or calls someone, Samuel's story is my favorite in that he is an innocent child and he doesn't even know it is God calling him. Also, it says that the Lord came and stood there. Samuel was still able to speak. 
             So with that said I think it safe to say, that God does speak on rare occasions. I am not saying that you sit and have a daily conversation in the way you and I could sit and talk. I think that when He wants to talk, He does. I just pray that if He ever talks to me again, I am listening. I am not from the camp of, "God CAN move mountains, He just chooses NOT to." I don't believe that for one minute. I believe He moves mountains everyday. We just are in a world that never stands still long enough to notice. He says, in Psalm 46:10-


10 He says, “Be still, and know that I am God;
   I will be exalted among the nations,
   I will be exalted in the earth.”

           
               I know that my God talks and probably even sings. I know that he is here and everywhere. I know that He loves me and is concerned with the things that concern me. After reading that passage above about Samuel again, I know sometimes, he even stands near us. With that I hope that I can always say, "Speak, for your servant is listening."

9 comments:

  1. You are amazing to me. Thank you !

    ReplyDelete
  2. No you are not crazy! God speaks, leads and sometimes pushes if we need. I think we limit God to what we think or hope He can do. I believe he has amazing things to show us if we are open to them. I am in awe of how intimate he is my life to the smallest sweetest detail let alone the big ones. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Prayer is you talking to God and intuition is God talking back.

    Good for you. If more people LISTENED, we'd ALL be a much better place.

    Fabulous post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much to each of you. This was a little scary for me to write. Stepping out and sharing intimate details of our lives is hard.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing this with us. You are an awesome mom and Christian example to those around you. I have found that a crisis always makes me listen to God, and although I never hear his voice he puts things in my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Heather - I don't think you're crazy at all. I, too, had my time of hearing His voice and of actually FEELING his embrace. It's good that you backed up your thoughts with scriptures. Our Pastors are just human and maybe they haven't experienced what you and I have for a good reason -- he may just fall over from shock!! God lets those hear that will believe and won't pass out! LOL ;) ~Tyra from Jody's board (Carmen is my penname)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heather,
    I think you are right on in your understanding of "hearing from God." I think that hearing can come in many forms....God's word, an understanding in the heart, an audible voice, through songs, dreams, and a word from another Christian. God might also give us an idea or thought that seems to come out of nowhere. I think that if God didn't want us to hear Him, He wouldn't have sent Jesus or given us His Word. Several times in the New Testament, God says, "This is my Son, listen to Him (Matt 17:5)," and in another spot God spoke, "I have glorified it (His name) and will glorify it again," and the multitude thought it thundered. (John 12:28, 29)

    In this age of technology where everyone seems to be "plugged in" to something, I wonder how anyone ever "hears" from God?

    Good post, Heather.

    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  8. Heather,
    You are so right...God still speaks today. Twice I have heard that small whisper...it took my breath away. I actually held my breath...I didnt want to miss it. I am so grateful that He is still speaking to us today. Thanks for sharing.
    dianntha

    ReplyDelete
  9. ~Dearest Heather,

    Beautifully written, and so, so true. I am weepy right now because HE loves Us so Much and is Everywhere with me.

    So beautiful...thank you for making my day, and touching my heart.
    Love & Hugs,
    Debbie in Alaska

    ReplyDelete