Search This Blog

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Crock-Pot Lasagna YUM!

I made a Lasagna yesterday in the crock -pot. I took 3 recipes and made my own. I do that sometimes and then forget to write down what I did. Well, I'll wrote it here because it was good. I think the best one I've made.

I used the 6-quart large oval crock pot.

2-lbs ground beef
Italian spices (I really opened the cabinet and sprinkled some of this and that. I'll try to list all I used)
Oregano
Parsley
Basil
little Rosemary
Italian Seasoning

One small yellow onion
minced garlic (I had the jarred on hand. About 3 cloves or more)
1-1 1/2 jars of spaghetti sauce ( I used Trader Joe's Tomato Basil Marinara)
Lasagna noodles
2 -16 oz. containers of ricotta cheese
2 eggs
1/2 cup of parmesan cheese (I just used the shaker can kind)
One package of baby spinach
Shredded cheese (usually you use mozzerella. I used cheddar and some string cheeses I had)

1) Saute the onion in a little olive oil until clear.
2) Add the ground beef to the onions.  Add spices and brown the meat.
3) Drain the grease off the browned meat. Add spaghetti sauce. Add enough sauce that it is really wet and saucey (Don't rinse or throw away jar yet!)
4) Simmer on low for a few minutes until it is good and warm.
5) Now you will start to layer. First put some of the meat mixture on the bottom.
6) Add a layer of noodles. Break them to fit and make a good layer.
7) Mix the ricotta cheese with the eggs and parmesan cheese.
8) Smear a layer of the ricotta mixture on the noodles.
9) Add Spinach (and or any other vegetable you want to add here).
10) Throw in a layer of shredded cheese.
11) Add more meat mixture.
12) Continue to layer until pot is to desired capacity.
13) Finish with a little meat sauce on top, sprinkled with a pretty layer of cheese.
14) Take your empty spaghetti jar swirl in 1/4 cup of water and pour that all over the top of the lasagna.
15) Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4.

This came out nice and firm. I actually cut it with a spatula and lifted out pieces. Usually a crock lasagna is a little goopy. It is the egg and parmesan in the ricotta that gives it the firmness. I am so excited that I found that little secret out. (Thanks Sis! You know who you are.)
I didn't take a picture. I was too hungry after smelling it all day. I'll take a picture of the leftovers today.

No comments:

Post a Comment