Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Mississippi Mud Cake

            My husbands family got together for the Labor Day holiday to eat dinner. I brought "a little something sweet" (as my Grandma always says). It is probably a little mean of me to bring it because both of my in-laws have to take extra insulin just to have a little. Sorry. But, it was good. I didn't bring much home after. The recipe was new to me. I think it is a bit like a Texas Sheet Cake (which I LOVE!!) but, with marshmallows. I also think it would be way good with pecans on top but, my family hates nuts in cakes so. If you put nuts in it will you tell me if it was good? Thanks.

I should have taken a picture of a cut piece. The cake is a cross between cake and brownie texture.


Mississippi Mud Cake

  • 2 cups plain flour
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 stick butter
  • 1/2 cup oil
  • 4 TBL unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 cup plus 1 tsp. cold water, divided
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk
  • 1-10 oz. bag mini marshmallows
  1. Sift flour, sugar, salt, and baking soda together (I just stirred them). 
  2. Bring butter, oil, cocoa, and one cup of water to a boil.
  3. Add eggs, one teaspoon cold water and buttermilk. Mix well.
Pour into greased and floured 9 x 13 pan and bake at 37 for 25 to 30 minutes. Top with Marshmallows while still hot and pour icing (recipe below) over the top. 



You will want have the icing finishing right as the cake comes out of the oven. 

Icing

  • 1 stick of butter
  • 3 TBL Cocoa
  • 6 TBL milk
  • 1 -16 oz. box confectioner's sugar
  • 1 tsp. vanilla

  1.  Combine butter, cocoa and milk in a pan.
  2. Bring to a boil.
  3. Add sugar and mix well.
  4. Add vanilla.
  5. Pour over hot cake as soon as it comes out of the oven.
Optional: chopped pecans sprinkled on would be so good. If you like nuts...


No comments:

Post a Comment