Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

First Day of School and Chili

            So we had our first day of school yesterday. It was mostly like an orientation to the year and what to look forward to. We went through our notebooks, our subjects we will be doing, our weekly schedule, and then did a couple of worksheets.  I usually take a picture of everyone for their notebook but, I didn't get there. It is definitely different with the 2 Little's (4 and 2yos).  It was also cold and dreary. Not like our usual beautiful sky first day of school. Everyone was up but, not all ready for the day.

The view from our balcony on the first day of school. Dreary.
I did make an interesting dinner for them. They wanted Chile Cheese fries the other day (they saw it on a picture) and I told them I would make some. Well, I made the best chili I've ever made and then put them on top of tater tots and sprinkled cheese on top. They loved it. Me... not so much. The chili was good but, I'd rather eat it with chips or nothing. I'm not much of a tater tot fan. Here is a picture and the chili recipe I used.


Chile


2 lbs ground beef
2-15 oz. can Kidney beans
1-15 oz. can pinto beans
1- 15 oz. can tomato sauce
1-10 oz. can Rotel Original (we don't usually have that here
in So Cal but, I found it at Target)
1-14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
1-small onion diced 
1- stock of celery diced
3/4 tsp black pepper
1 1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 TBL chili powder (add more to you taste)
2/3 tsp cumin

  1. Saute onions and celery in a little olive oil until clearish.
  2. Brown ground beef, then drain off fat.
  3. Dump all ingredients into the crock-pot. Stir to combine.
Cook on Low 7-8 hours or on High 3-4 hours. You really can cook it as long as you like. It just blends the flavors more. Also, my family got antsy so I dumped it in a pot and cooked it for 2-3 hours on the stove, stirring every 15 minutes or so.


          If you want to, dump it on oven baked fries or tater tots. You could then top with cheese and even a little sour cream. They loved it. 

Hope you enjoy it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment