Search This Blog

Thursday, September 2, 2010

I Miss Cool Jeans.

            I remember always being the youngest wherever I went. I am not sure why. I guess I married young (21), and my husband was 6 years older. He had older friends. Also, where I worked, it was full of older ladies all of the time. Both when I flew as a flight attendant and when I taught preschool.  Well, I knew it couldn't always be that way and now, it has happened. I went to a meeting  at church and we were sitting at tables. They did one of those ice breaker things where you go around and tell your birthday. I was the oldest. It was such a strange sensation. Everyone else was at least 3 years younger than me. And of course I had the most kids.
             I also have gray hair creeping out more and more. I know this last year was hard on my body. I am totally feeling the effects of the stress but, gray hair? I am going to have to give in and color my hair. I thought I would be one of the cool ones that didn't color my hair. But, the other day when I looked in the mirror I couldn't believe the lady looking back was me. It was kind of comical. Is that really the face and body of a girl that shouts songs at the top of her lungs and dances in the car when I am alone? Well, the songs are 20 years old. WOW! 20 years? That is so long ago. Don't you remember thinking how old your parents were? I'm there age now. I don't get the, "Can I help you Miss?" anymore. It's always Ma'am.  Well, that's O.K. It doesn't bother me that much.
              I guess I have traded the cat calls and long lingering stares as I walk down the beach for a chubby hand in mine, a teen that tells me I'm the best, embarrassing my kids in public (usually in my car dancing), and a wonderful man that doesn't seem to mind my "soft" and droopy body. He loves me for so many other reasons at this point. Although, I think there are days I truly miss that little hard body I used to have. But, I guess it really wasn't all that comfortable for a little one to snuggle with and fall asleep on. The pillow shaped curves of my body are now much more conducive to cuddling and getting warm in the night after a bad dream. I suppose God knows what he is doing when he makes everything just more... comfy as we get older. Too bad it doesn't look so good in a pair of cool jeans.

No comments:

Post a Comment