Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

My Giving Jar Project


You are probably wondering why I have a calendar on my blog. Two in fact. well, I decided to make a giving jar. It is a way for my kids and the ones in our bible study class, to learn about blessings and giving. Really about serving others. Since we are called to serve others. To love others. This is another way to do that.
                    If you look at each day there is a task to do. All of the tasks involve giving a small amount of coins. Each one will give you the opportunity to talk about others that might night have all that we do. Our children aren't so much spoiled as they are unknowing. How can they be truly spoiled when they know nothing else? No other way than how we live. The other day another child on our street saw that we had a T.V. in our car. He was blown away. It struck me as so odd because all of the people we know have T.V.s in their car. In fact I know children that have never been in a car without one. Yet this child had never seen one. My kids were shocked at his reaction. How shocked would they be to meet a child that doesn't own shoes? This isn't a lesson in guilt but, in gratitude and serving. Is loving and caring for others.
                    We will go through each day and fill up the jar according to each task. Then at the end of the project on December 14th ( that is the last day of our bible study class until our break), we will donate our gift to the churches food pantry. Since it will be the Christmas season, there will be an even greater need there. Now these small children, 10 year olds will be able to say that they were able to help feed someone with just a few coins. I hope you enjoy my calendar and decide to use it with your kids. Enjoy.







2 comments:

  1. SO GREAT! I might have to do this myself!! I can't see the calendars though - I think it might be my computer. Could you send them to me?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Mere. I hope you do it with us. It will be fun. You can use it else where too. Love you. Come visit.

    ReplyDelete