Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Slowly

     To say that things in the south move slowly is a statement most take lightly. It is a true statement though. People talk much slower, eat slower, move slower. (Not all drive slower). There is truly a laid back approach to most things. And it will get done, when it gets done mentality. (Hawaii and its Aloha attitude has nothing on the south).  
     My family comes from a faster paced place. Orange County, CA. Not much is done slowly. In fact as a waitress or a service provider in Orange County, that was the biggest way to make someone angry- take your time. Everybody was on a time schedule. You plot out your day and stick to it. Here, I'm sure they have schedules but, to have a service done, expect it to take awhile. 
     I Called the appliance repairman to check the fridge. I got a call back saying that the man would be there right away. He was in our area. 2 1/2 hours later was their idea of right away. Nice man. Owned the company. But not in a hurry. Told me how long he'd been coming to Grandmas house fixing things. Also, how long he'd been in the business. His high school career, etc. 
     People are friendly here. They actually want to talk. They listen after they say, how y'all doin'? To see what your answer is. Stumps me a bit. I'm uses to people asking that question and moving on to the next subject. Another era want to hear how your day is going. Or how your mama was making a dish and how it turned out. They may even tell you to bring it to the next church pot luck. People here like to talk. Although, slowly. 
     Right after we got here to the South, I called several TV and Internet providers. Let me say I am in what they call the rural area. Just means I'm 6 minutes from town. I finally decide on the local cable monopoly-company and get a day and time they can be out here-.... A week later. Um. Ok. 
     The man comes, says;" I have good news an bad news. Which do you want?"
     Well. Both. 
     "We located the "dog house" and surprisingly that was easy to locate. But,...(long drawl) there isn't any power to it "..... Pause. Pause. Pause. 
" I'll put a call in for you and tell them what is going on. But, I'm from (some town an hour away) so I'm not sure if they'll call me back out or not."
Pause. Pause. Pause. 

     Me:"OK. So what does that mean to me? Is cable and Internet possible?"

     "Well, that's hard to say. " pause. Pause. Pause. 
     "Maybe they can get someone out here and get it taken care of in a couple of days. Maybe this afternoon. People don't move very quick around here ma'am. I'm from Las Vegas myself. They are a bit slow moving out here. "
     I'm now thinking that he's adapted well. 
     Me:"So, I will call and get an updte on what needs to be done and an estimated time of when it can be done. Sound good?"
     "Well, no. There is no reason for you to call. I'll call it in. Not sure if they'll send me back out though. Comcast is going through changes on services blah, blah, blah, blah, (sorry I spaced out during the history and workings of Comcast and how they work in the south). So we'll be in touch with you ma'am. Ok?"  
     Ok. 
      In the next couple of weeks we had utility people show up, cherry picker trucks show up, even people digging up the yard to lay cable. No one came to the door. No one called. Nothing. 
     I waited patiently. 
     3 weeks now and nothing is happening. So I call to check on our progress. 
     "Ma'am? Your order has been canceled because it went beyond our service time period."
????????????
     New guy shows up and spends several hours here in the humidity and heat. Finally says that he doesn't have the right tool with him. The only one we have in the company is over an hour away. They set me up for Saturday between 3 and 5 pm. 
      It's now been a total of 5 weeks with no cable or Internet. We're not going to die. But really, it's a bit crazy. Especially considering how much caffeinated, carbonated, sugary beverages these men have come out here drinking. They should be moving like their butts are on fire. 
     Me:"If you would like there is cold  water bottles in the garage fridge. Help yourself."
     "Oh thanks ma'am, but I've got Mountain Dew/Sun Drop/Dr. Pepper in the truck. "
     So the conclusion I am coming to is, thing just move slowly here. We need to go with it. But, I'm also thinking, man, if we can get a business together that all we are is quick and efficient, maybe we'll have a shot. Whew. I will say that the humidity and heat make you move a bit slower. And living with Grandma, our pace has slowed tremendously. We swing on the big wooden swing, several times a day instead of completing all of my chores first. We stop in the middle of the day to enjoy an ice cream sandwich. 
I guess we'll get used to it eventually. The good thing is, we don't hear any bad news much anymore. With no TV I don't have the patience to sit through the news on the local radio station. I would but it's squeezed between the "radio Shopper", classifieds (yes, they do the classifieds on the radio. People call in and say, "I have a ride I lawn mower for sale. My number is-------.") and the obituaries. Oh they also, announce all of the arrests overnight. Really, what you are charged with, the full name and the town they live in. That is a deterrent you'd think. Walk into you job and everyone would be looking at you. Busted!!
     So maybe no bad news means good news. Right? 
     I'll be waiting on the cable guy, I reckon on Saturday. Or maybe I'll just see if my husband wants to get the tool and do the work so all they have to do is hook up the equipment. 
      Well, just let me know if I miss anything good. And y'all come by and sit a spell, ya hear?!

1 comment:

  1. Heather, this is so awesome to read! :-) I just love the whole thing. I love your description--it sounds frustrating in some ways but mostly very refreshing. (I think it's incredibly heartening that some people in this crazy world still know how to go slowly.) In fact, what you describe is what we experienced when we moved to England almost 30 years ago. Getting the phone fixed took daaaayyyys. We once were deciding between two "cookers" in a store when the employee promptly announced that the store was closing for lunch or tea or something and would reopen in an hour, so just come back later. What?! Haha. Don't know if things are still the same now. . . But I actually thought of the book Little Heathens as I read your description, even though it's really two very different times/lifestyles.

    Thanks for sharing this. I'm actually copying the post so I can read it again later and marvel that there are places where some people haven't been struck by the hurry-up-you-can-go-even-faster(!) pandemic.

    Glad you're blogging. I hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete