Search This Blog

Saturday, October 9, 2010

Bumpkin Cake or Panana Cake

I couldn't get them to let me take the picture before they ate it. 


This is a recipe that I modified from a magazine. (Big surprise. I make a recipe the way I want to). The original recipe is from the October issue of Parents magazine.
Check it out to compare : Parents Magazine Oct. 2010

Mine is a little different also because I wanted to use my bread maker instead of using the oven.  Even though it is fall, it is pretty warm here. We had such a cold summer but, our fall is hot. Well, here is the recipe I made. It was really good. Hope you like it.


Cake
1 package of white cake mix (I used Trader Joe's brand)
1 cup mashed bananas
1 cup pumpkin puree (either mashed fresh or canned)
1 tsp. cinnamon
(1/4 cup brown sugar if you use the TJ's brand it isn't very sweet)

Mix cake according to directions on the box omitting the water or milk.
Mix in the the pumpkin, banana and cinnamon.
If using a bread machine make it according to a one pound quick bread or cake setting.  I had to add an extra 10 minutes to the baking time.

If baking in oven: bake at 375 degrees.
Pour cake batter in a greased 9" loaf pan.
Bake for 50 minutes or until toothpick comes out fairly clean. (It is like a banana bread so moist is good).
Dump out of loaf pan and let cool completely before frosting.

Frosting


4 oz. cream cheese, softened (I used the whipped kind. That was all that I had.)
1/4 cup of softened butter
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup of powdered sugar

Beat cream cheese and butter until well blended.
Add vanilla and mix.
Slowly add powdered sugar until thoroughly blended.
Frost cake and enjoy!!

Verdict: It was really good. Different but, good. Really moist. Cream cheese frosting is always surprising to me, tangy but, sweet.
Let me know if you make it and how you like it. I love to hear feedback.

No comments:

Post a Comment