Search This Blog

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Really, They Were That Good!!

Who knew they could be so yummy?!
          



            I never thought I would say that my family loved brussels sprouts. But, I found a recipe from my favorite blog, A Year of Slow Cooking , or as I remember her as The Crock-pot Lady.  I get the best recipes and ideas from her. You see, I have always liked my crock-pot. Then as I had more children, less time, and more mouths to feed, I started using it more and more. My friends actually think my fondness for- my crock-pot is a little strange, but, they always call me when they are looking for a particular kind of recipe. Now, I don't like the retro recipes with the onion soup mix and the cream of whatever soup. I use it all natural and fresh just like when I cook regularly.
              O.K. enough background. Here is this weirdly yummy recipe that I got from Stephanie O'Dea (which is her real name).

BRUSSELS SPROUTS


(I actually doubled everything for my family and there was only 8 sprouts left. I'm not kidding.)
1lb brussels sprouts
3 TBL Butter (I used a little more. I wonder if you could use Olive oil instead).
1TBL Dijon Mustard (Used Trader Joe's Aioli Garlic Mustard Sauce)
1/4 tsp Sea Salt
1/4 tsp Black Pepper
1/4 cup water

Directions:
Use a 4 quart slow cooker. Wash and trim the ends off of each sprout and cut in half.  Put everything in the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 4 hours or high for 2 to 3. When it is all done mix it well so the sauce gets on all of the sprouts (we had a few with too much mustard). The edges of the sprouts and the pot will get a bit brown and crispy looking. That is exactly what it is supposed to do.

Enjoy. I am not exaggerating when I tell you that only one small dude didn't enjoy them. He did eat them though. Everyone else (including my husband who hates brussels sprouts) had seconds. Little girlie started stealing little dudes when he was talking. I am not making this up. We made 2 lbs and I put 8 sprouts in a container for left overs.

Well, let me know if you make this and how it turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment